Regulating Woes

Terry Beckingham beckingt@mb.sympatico.ca
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 20:24:04 -0500 (CDT)

At 08:47 PM 7/19/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Does this apply to upright actions, the line betwixt br hole and wip cp for
>capstan/cushion?

There is a short article in the reprint book "Hammers and Touchweight"
referring to dowel capstans in uprights. It would indicate that this also
applies to uprights.

They probably can be transferred to verticals but
>it's
>a lot of work for an upright.
>
>But if you want to pursue it, start with the hammer spring tension, they need
>to be
>strong enough to push it back, not too forcefully though. I installed new
>springs once
>and had the reduce the tension as the DW was too high.  Adding lead to the
>front
>can compensate but not to overcome excessively heavy springs. Springs first.

I think I'll leave the springs alone for now anyway.

>Someone with direct knowledge of vertical regulation in regards to spring
>tension
>will hopefully chime in soon.

I doubt it (other than Newton) as they are all on their way to KC.

Cheers

Terry