Baldwin Action Problem-more on capstan adjustment

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 22:22:20 -0700

Bill:
    Thank you for your explicit post.  It really seems that one has to
be very careful to anticipate all the ramifications before altering any
adjustment on a piano.
    I saw the piano this afternoon.  I lowered the action posts a little
on the right side so I could get the screws into the holes.  Then I
turned the posts back up until there was no movement in the bottom of
the action brackets when I shook them forcibly.  The capstan adjustment
returned to where they had been when I started (from the factory).  Bill
was right, when I turned the lower bracket screw down, the hammers came
off the rail about 1/4".  I'm glad I didn't waste time trying to
readjust them; I'd have had to do it over.

    Thanks again for the great input and suggestions,
    Best,
    Paul McCloud