Regulating Woes

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:48:18 -0400

At 11:48 AM 7/20/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello Cia,
>
>I don't believe the key height is too low. When I got this piano it had
>piles of cardboard shims under all parts of the keyframe. The bottoms of the
>keys were actually above the key slip. I removed all of the shims and only
>inserted shims where necessary to level the keyframe. My key height is now
>just under 2 3/4". I think this is a little high but I cannot go lower. I
>used the thinnest felt punchings on the balance rail pins and leveled from
>the highest key that had no paper punchings under it. I don't have the specs
>for this piano, but key height should probably be about 2 1/2". I could
>probably go a little higher, but not very much or I would end up once again
>with the key bottoms above the keyslip.

Key height can be determined by the height of the fallboard. Also, by not
having
the key dipping too close to the key slip.  I like a natural to be 3/4" to
7/8"
above
the key slip. This gives a square appearance to the key front.

Another important consideration is that the key pin must be at least 1/4" into
the key
(bushing length) and because the sharp's keysticks are higher than the
natural's
then this depth must be considered.  Ultimately that would be the test for how
high
the keys can be.

Jon Page

>That's one more item I can try though. Maybe that is why there was so much
>cardboard to begin with. Thanks for the suggestion.
>
>Terry Beckingham
>
>At 02:40 AM 7/20/99 EDT, Cia wrote:
>>Terry,
>>                Have been following the thread on this , and I am curious
>>....where was your key height? Key height must be sufficient to provide
>>enough key travel to allow room for the action to work properly . If key
>>height is too low for the strike distance, you will not be able to get
enough

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net