Question concerning keytops

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@roadrunner.com
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:01:23 -0600

At 07:41 PM 7/21/99 -0400, you wrote:
>List:
>I have two questions concerning key tops:
>
> 1.  I have a customer with a brand new grand piano.  I have to replace
>an ebony key top.  Can anyone suggest a safe way to remove the original
>key top without pulling up splinters or damaging the key?

John,
	Sorry this is so late, maybe too late, but here's the absolutely easiest
way to remove sharps.
	Hold the key in your hand, face down, by the end near the back check. Hit
your workbench with the sharp, at about a 45 degree angle, SHARPLY. Good
hard whap, not a tap. When you're doing them all, you'll soon figure out
how much force to use for that particular set, but for just one, hit it
hard. The idea is to hit the top front edge of the sharp. Not a glancing
blow, just straight down so that when it makes contact, it's just the edge
of the front that hits. It "should" blow you away with it's simplicity.
They just pop right off. No splinters or damage. A piece of thin leather or
cloth on your bench or block can protect the sharp itself if you need to
recycle it.

Enjoy,
Guy Nichols RPT

ps... great sig line.

>                    "Freedom is something we give each other,
>                      independence is something we give ourselves."

"When you make the finding yourself--even if you're the last person on
Earth to see the light--you never forget it."
			Carl Sagan