Piano touch too heavy

Ted Simmons ted@brevard.net
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:06:16 -0400

A Church asked me to give an evaluation and estimate on several of its
pianos, one of which was a grand piano shorter than 5 feet -- sort of a
LaPetite size.
The hammers were resting on the rebound rail and the keys weren't level,
etc., so I convinced him that it needed an action regulation.  As I was
leaving with the action he said "It's got a heavy touch, see if you can do
something about that?".   When I got the action on my workbench and did
touchweight measurements I got downweights of 52 to 60 grams and upweights
from 24 to 38.  These numbers are within spec as far as I can tell and the
action should not feel heavy to the touch.  So what do I do now?  Any ideas
or comments?

Ted Simmons
Merritt Island, FL