Newton's metre stick

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:56:14 -0500

Stephen:

The variation in keyboard size didn't stop with the historical instruments.
I have pianos here with keys that are 48" from A0 - C8, to 48.5".  Most are
48" but the new Steinways are 48.375" and our older Hamburg Steinway is
48.5".  Now with the 7/8 keyboard making the trade journals who knows what
will be next.

dave

_______________________________
David M. Porritt, RPT
mailto:dporritt@swbell.net
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
_______________________________

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Stephen Birkett
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 9:39 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Newton's metre stick

Newton writ:

> Walk soft and carry a meter stick.

Well, despite Napoleon's metric conquests, there is something to be said
for piano makers and techs "walking soft and carrying an inch stick" over
the years, or in my case carrying many different inch sticks, since the
historical inch was not standard and varied significantly with location -
the modern inch (25.4 mm) is quite small in the scheme of things. I've
seen from 25 mm to as much as 28 mm inches used on different pianos,
tending to go bigger as you cross the Alps or go down the Rhine. And those
lowly local inch differences have led to some significant spec.
differences over the years, e.g.  Cristofori's modern-sized octaves vs
Stein's about 5% narrower, entirely attributable to the length of their
sticks.

Stephen

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228