Piano touch too heavy

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:39:19 EDT

In a message dated 7/26/1999 11:47:27 PM, Ted wrote:

<<As I was
>leaving with the action he said "It's got a heavy touch, see if you can do
>something about that?".   When I got the action on my workbench and did
>touchweight measurements I got downweights of 52 to 60 grams and upweights
>from 24 to 38.  These numbers are within spec as far as I can tell and the
>action should not feel heavy to the touch.  So what do I do now?  Any ideas
>or comments?
>
>Ted Simmons
>Merritt Island, FL>>>

Ted;
 With those weights "touch weight" should not be a problem??  Perhaps even
though the person said it " has a heavy touch" in fact he wasn't talking
about touchweight but rather a diffucult or heavy jack escapement, or an
overly long hammer throw as someone else said.  After you regulate pay close
attention to those knuckles and see if that doesn't help with the "heavy
touch" comment.
 Another comment from a player as "heavy touch" turned out to be a way too
shallow aftertouch level

 I think this is, at least partially, a term perception problem between the
player and the tech and we have all been there :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)