need advice/rant-new piano problems/location of good piano tuning schools

Cynthia Ann Anderson caa0001@jove.acs.unt.edu
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 20:02:07 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

I must first say that I am a layperson lurker, not a tuner/tech type.
But, I truly have enjoyed and learned a lot by "listening in". I joined
this list because I enjoyed the recent tuning/temperament discussions
and other topics with Ed Foote and others on piano-l.  I was also hoping
to get some information w/o the sales hype to help me in choosing a
piano.

I am a public school band director by trade with a limited budget, and
ended up getting the Young Chang PE 121-(48" Pramberger model).  I also
ended up having to order the piano to get the finish I wanted-so I
didn't hear the actual piano before it was purchase (yes, I know).
When the piano was delivered it was grossly, unplayably, out of tune
with several "buzzing" notes. The store sent somebody out 10 days
later. After he finished tuning, while the front was still off, I told
him about the buzzing notes--they didn't buzz any more-good, I thought.
Immediately after the guy drove away, I noticed the same buzzing notes,
some double striking hammers, and rubbing keys. (I was proud to have
tracked down the source of the buzzes--they were loose screws in the
fallboard hinge. That's why they didn't happen with the front off) Why
the tuner didn't catch these things I don't know. I'm going to call
back and have the store send someone out fix these problems. My
thinking is that the store didn't do the needed prep work and are only
going to regulate the piano to the extent that I notice problems and
nothing else... My question is, what should I be looking for?  What are
regulation or other problems often seen on this type of piano?  Any
advice would be appreciated.

I also noticed that several black keys have clearly visable little
circles on the front. It looks like the keys were not finished out
correctly.  What are they?  And,can/should they fix them?

Listening to your discussions has also made me consider becoming a
tuner/tech myself. It can't be any harder on the ears than the
beginning band classes I teach. :) Are there any good training programs
near me?  I am in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.