Torches and passings

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 09:43:06 EDT

et al;
 I am sure that there are those among the list members who recognize the
names of Carl Helton and Vernon Calcotte.
  When I returned from KC I learned of the passing of each of these stalwarts
of the tech community here in Jacksonville.
 Carl was not a current member of PTG, having allowed his membership to
expire many years ago when he first started his battle with cancer. His
friendly demeanor and ready wit was a joy to all who knew him.
  Vernon was one of the charter members of the NE Florida Chapter of PTG and
before that was a member of the Piano Tuners Association. Vernon had heart
problems and a few years back had a pace maker installed. A story that speaks
volumes of Vernon centers around another member of PTG who was extremely
active in the past, Mr. Barney Johns, RPT. Barney was having problems with
his roof and Vernon went up on the roof to make the repairs for Barney (since
he was 5 years younger than Barney at 71 :-) While working on the roof
Vernon's pacemaker gave his heart a jolt, as it was designed to do, the jolt
caused Vernon to lose his balance and he fell off of the roof...he didn't get
hurt except for minor bruises but to hear Barney and Vernon tell the story
was a memory that will live with those who have heard it for years. That
story says more about Vernon than anything I could say................
 Neither of these two gentlemen were political tigers, rather they showed the
way via their personal example.  We are all the less for their passing and
they shall be missed.
 Go with God............. Carl and Vernon.
Jim Bryant (FL)