voicing

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:59:01 -0500 (CDT)

>I have
>not heard that restringing programs take any of this into consideration
(perhaps
>it is not possible yet or perhaps it is not needed ??).

* Well, the short version is this. When I'm rebuilding with redesign, I
start with the string scale. I can't do an awful lot with the plate
configuration or rim shape, but I can juggle bridge positions to optomise
(by my criteria and intent) string lengths, tension distribution, and scale
breaks as relates to changing from bichord wrapped to trichord plain
unisons. When I have the bridges and length/wrap/plain breaks where I think
I want them for what produces inharmonicity, tension, and impedance curves
that please me (though not necessarily others, I've found), I start on the
rib design. Following Del's advice that a rib is a center loaded beam and
should be considered as such, and using a standard beam deflection formula
that can be found in any number of technical texts, I figure the bearing
load, crown, and anticipated deflection throughout the rib scale, with
appropriate deviations to accommodate the changing impedance requirements
from one end of the scale to the other (derived by brain burn and trial and
error, a work in progress, and not available for discussion at this time),
install whatever I consider to be necessary bracing, cutoff bars, and any
other pet theory I am sneaking up on at the time, and build the darned
thing. The hitch system and front duplex configuration is dealt with
separately during assembly.

I believe that computation of the impedance balances between the strings and
soundboard are, indeed, possible. I further believe that it is imperative
that the designer and/or rebuilder consider the performance potential of the
soundboard, both from a design, and condition standpoint before the strings
are installed. In other words, I think it's both possible and needed... and
that's the short version!

>Being aware of these
>characteristics of a soundboard, and how to identify them to some degree
with your
>ear, helps in making decisions with regard to what field technicians can and
>cannot accomplish with voicing problems.

* That was exactly the topic of my spot in the rebuilding skills workshop in KC.

>Personally, I'd like to know more about all this. Is it possible /
helpfull, to be
>able to measure the frequency modes of a soundboard when attempting to
rescale and
>existing piano ? Perhaps this is too expensive or time consuming ?

* It quite likely is all of the above; possible, helpful, expensive, and
time consuming. I don't have the means to do so, so I can't say one way or
another. Think, plan, build, listen, think more, and correct, are what I'm
working with.

>Nice post by the way Ron.
>
>Richard Brekne

*Thank you, sir.