voicing - was Convention musings

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 21:01:34 -0100

Joe & Penny Goss wrote:

> Del,
>  The bass and other strings that have the hammers angled to the string will
> have a different strike point measurement from the termination points of
> bridge and agraff/capo bar. This causes to my ear the distortion of the
> sound of the unison much like phasing of unlevel strings. As a double bass
> player, I long ago discovered that one could divide the string into 1/2
> 1/3  1/4  segments and play the overtone series ,  but also divide the
> string into smaller segments and draw out a diatonic scale of the upper
> partials of the string. Moving the finger lightly along the string only a
> small fraction of an inch will make the change occur.
> With the string line angled one way and the hammers the other will MHO
> cause what I believe Roger is referring to especially on bass strings that
> are already too short to produce a good sound.
> Joe Goss

Joe,

Ideally the nodes of diatonic scale correspond with the just intervals: 3:2,
4:3, 5:4, etc. I, too have discovered these nodes, and with some practice as a
distasteful guitar and bass player can excite two at a time (the higher nodes
with a surface considerably smaller than a finger).

However, excluding nodes (as the hammer will do) at 1/9 or even 1/8 +/- 1mm max
with a big ol' compressing bass hammer?! I could run it on Excel on a Whitney
spinet bass string pair to see what  separate partials it can exclude...and
anyways, could these two strings produce a "good sound?"

Respectfully, without checking this data, I disagree.

Clark Panaccione