9/8 Keyboard!

Wed, 28 Jul 1999 22:05:46 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Wallace Scherer <WallyTS@compuserve.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 1999 5:51 PM
Subject: 9/8 Keyboard!

> Hey,
>
> Just as some people have small hands that won't fit the standard keyboard,
> others have extra large hands. I remember trying to teach some whose
> fingers wouldn't fit between the sharps. Made playing some chords
> practically impossible. Tremendous reach though!
>
> Why doesn't someone build some 9/8 keyboards too!

Probably because it would require making the piano about 150 mm (approx. 6")
wider than it already is.  That would mean making a new rim press for each
instrument, along with new lids, belly rails, soundboards...well, you get
the idea.

Certainly, it could be done.  But who is going to pay the bill?

Regards,

Del