7/8 Keyboard

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 11:07:34 -0500

Del:

I just measured an "R" from that same manufacturer and it was 1218mm.  The
Steinway "L" in the shop here is also 1218.  It's only the newest Steinways
that are 1228.

dave

_______________________________
David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt@swbell.net
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, TX 75275
_______________________________

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Delwin D Fandrich
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 1999 10:19 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: 7/8 Keyboard

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Vince Mrykalo
    To: caut@ptg.org
    Sent: Thursday, July 29, 1999 7:06 AM

    I thought "normal" size for a keyboard was 48".  BTW Ed's temperament
class was so persuasive, that I will again try a well temp for specialized
programs such as an all Chopin one.  A very well presented class, Ed!

-

    When I designed my first grand piano I did a little (to little, as it
turned out) research on key headscales.  I was told by several folks within
the company I worked for at the time there had been an "International
Standard" of 1220 mm agreed to by most of the industry in the late 1940's.
So I acted accordingly and designed the keyset accordingly.

    On submitting the drawings to the keymakers (a division of this same
company) I was told that they couldn't make keys to this width.  There's
were something wider than that.  So much for standards.  I then did what I
should have done in the first place and went out and measured what they were
actually making.  Since then I have measured quite a few and have found that
there is really no standard at all.  Everyone pretty much makes what they
want to make.

    Personally, I would like to see key headscales just a little bit
narrower than what we currently see.  Over the years I have encountered
quite a few pianists (not all of them women) who have had difficulty
reaching some of the common intervals found in standard piano music.  Yes,
they have, for the most part, been able to train themselves to reach what
they need to reach.  But not without some cost to their hands.

    This experience has indicated that a key headscale width of around 1190
to 1200 mm might well be an improvement.  It's not enough of a change to
require any great adjustment, but is enough to make reaching some of the
wider intervals just a bit easier.

    Regards,

    Del