polishing agraffes (long)

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 12:35:54 -0500

Greetings,

Recently I have cleaned and polished two sets of agraffes as a complete
part of a restringing job.  The procedure used is outlined below.

It took me the better part of a full day to clean, polish, lacquer, ream
and install the agraffes.  I originally did not estimate for the time to do
this, so I basically did this for the learning experience.  (Read, I did
the work for free to get experience, My customer did not request that I do
this, I just did it.  I won't do a set of agraffes again for free.  Ever!)

  I was very pleased with my work, as were my customers.  However, if I
were to do this again, I would estimate at least an extra day of work, and
add it into the final bill.  Leaving the agraffes in the plate takes a lot
less time, and if you didn't estimate for all the extra work, don't take
the agraffes out!  But, please, please, please, don't spray gold lacquer
all over the agraffes if you leave the agraffes in the plate.  Take the
time to cover the agraffes to protect them from overspray.  And at least
take the time to ream the holes in the agraffes with the agraffe reaming tool.

Cleaning and Polishing Agraffes

By David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT

Purpose:

The purpose of this procedure is to renew the agraffes during a restringing
or rebuilding job.  The essential part of the procedure is to use the
agraffe reaming tool to clean the hole that the string passes through.
After a long period of time, often there will be a string groove at the top
of the hole in the agraffe where the harder steel wire has cut into the
softer brass.  This groove in the hole can contribute to unwanted string
noises.  The use of the agraffe reaming tool will help to make a clean
termination of the string at the agraffe.

The additional work to polish, clean, and seal the agraffes is not
essential, but makes the job complete. The gleaming surfaces of the highly
polished brass agraffes make an excellent presentation and accent the
rebronzed plate and new tuning pins and strings.

Tools and Supplies Needed:

*  1/2 horsepower bench motor for 6" buffing wheel (Black and Decker,
Craftsman, etc.)
*  Assorted 6" cloth wheels for use with bench motor
      Dico #40 Spiral Sewed Buff with 1/2" face and 6" diameter
      Dico #36 Cushion Type Buff with 1/2" face and 6" diameter
      Dico #60 Canton Flannel Buff with 1/2" face and 6" diameter
*  Assorted polishing compounds
      Emery (Dico # E5)  For coarse buffing to remove scratches, rust,
corrosion and burrs
      Tripoli  (Dico # TC6)  For general cutting and buffing all
non-ferrous metals
      Jewelers rouge  (Dico # JR1)  To obtain the highest lustre finish on
all metals
        (Dico polishing supplies are available from most hardware stores.)
*  Metal polish (such as Twinkle, Flitz, or Simi-chrome polish)
*  Lacquer thinner
*  Small metal tray for soaking agraffes
*  Adjustable speed Dremel Moto-Tool
        with 1" diameter cloth polishing wheel (Dremel # 423) and mandrel
(Dremel # 402)
*  Leather gloves
*  Protective Eye glasses
*  Shop apron - to protect your clothes
*  Soft polishing cloths
*  Agraffe reamer
      Pianotek Supply Co., part # AR-12
*  Agraffe turning tool for combination handle
      Pianotek Supply Co., part # ATT-1
      Schaff Piano Supply, part # 30
      APSCO, part # 16244
*  Shop-made tool for holding agraffes
      Take a block of hard wood, such as a piece of scrap pin-block
material.  Drill a hole slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the
agraffe threads.  Tap out the hole to accept the threads of the agraffe.
Sand the corners of the block of wood so there are no sharp edges.  Turn
the agraffe into the hole in the hard wood and now you have a handle to
hold the agraffe with while polishing.  Without this handle, the agraffe
can be very hard to hold onto because of its small size.  Also, If you hold
the agraffe in your hand during these procedures, the heat can build up
quickly and burn your fingers.  The wooden handle will absorb the heat that
builds up in the agraffe from the friction of polishing and buffing.
*  Tap Wrench

         Schaff Piano Supply, part # 989
         APSCO, part # 150825
         Pianotek Supply Co., part # TW-164
*  Tap - same diameter and thread count as the agraffes you are working with
         Schaff Piano Supply, part #985 and part #987
         APSCO part # 15583, and part #15584
*  Clear brass lacquer for protective coat
         Brasslac clear brass lacquer - Mohawk Finishing Supplies -
1-800-545-0047.
                               or
          Parks brand "Brass Protector Coat".
         (Please see the warning at the end of the article for use of this
product)
*  A piece of cardboard with holes puched in it to hold agraffes during
clear coating
*  Respirator Mask

Shop Facilities:

The shop should be well lighted, have enough space so that the technician
can move around comfortably, and must have good ventilation.  There must be
no open flames or other sources of a spark that might cause the volatile
chemicals used to burn or explode.  A spray booth or other draft free
spraying area is useful.

Procedure:

1.  Remove agraffes from plate using agraffe turning tool
2.  Keep agraffes in order, by putting them on a piece of soft wire
3.  Soak agraffes in lacquer thinner to dissolve and remove old finish
4.  Remove agraffes from lacquer thinner and allow to dry
5.  Insert one agraffe into threaded hole in shop-made hard wood agraffe
holder.
6.  Buff and polish the agraffe on the bench buffing wheel using a Dico #40
spiral sewed cloth polishing wheel and Dico brand Emery polishing compound.
 The Emery compound cuts faster and will remove deeper surface scratches
and imperfections.  Be careful not to use too much pressure.  Allow the
polishing compound and the speed of the wheel turning to do the work.
7.  Buff and polish the agraffe on the bench buffing wheel using a Dico #36
cushion type cloth polishing wheel and Tripoli polishing compound.
8.  Buff and polish the agraffe on the bench buffing wheel using a Dico #60
canton flannel cloth polishing wheel and Jewelers rouge.  It may be
preferable to do this step using a Dremel Moto-tool with a small cloth
wheel and Jewelers rouge.  The Dremel Moto-tool will allow better control
of the operation.
9.  Use a clean soft cloth to polish the brass and remove any traces of the
polishing compounds used.
10.  Use agraffe reaming tool (Pianotek Supply Co., part # AR-12) in tap
wrench and clean up the holes in the agraffes
11.  Insert the agraffe into the hole in the cardboard.
12.  Repeat steps 5 through 11 until all agraffes are polished to your
satisfaction.
13.  Blow away (or vacuum up) any dust on the cardboard and agraffes
14.  Seal the agraffes using Parks brand "Brass Protector Coat" or Mohawk
brand Brass-lac.  It is better to spray on two light coats instead of
having one heavy coat.
15.  Allow to air dry and spray on another sealing coat
16.  After agraffes are completely dry, re-install agraffes into plate and
begin restringing

Acknowledgements:

Thanks to Kevin Way, South West Missouri Player Piano Service, for
excellent help and advice and the use of his shop facilities.

Thanks to Vince Mrykalo for advising me to get the agraffe reamer from
Pianotek Supply.

Thanks to Paul Revenko-Jones who initially taught a class on agraffes at a
one-day seminar sponsored by the St. Louis Chapter of the PTG