Boston Beans

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:01:27 -0500

Rob,
I tuned one the week before the convention and experienced the same thing.
I figured Steinway had transfered one of there designs/patents from their
uprights because I struggle with them, too.  I, too think it must be
pressure bar or flagpoling.  Too much friction in that capo area could also
be it. Kawai's don't have that problem.  I'm told to jiggle the hammer more
to set these pins. Other than that it was a nice piano.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Robert Goodale
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 1999 6:30 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Boston Beans

I'm tearing my hair out trying to get Boston uprights tuned
and stayed in tune.  Several years ago I thought maybe it
was me but I'm pretty sure that's not the case anymore.
When I was working at the university in Northern Arizona
they purchased ten of them.  For nearly two years I
struggled with the things.  The local dealer here in Vegas
had their annual sale at UNLV recently and I have picked up
the work from the pianos that have sold.  I again
encountered a Boston upright today from someone who
purchased it at the university sale.  Again I experienced
the unpleasant experience getting the thing tuned.

My specific peeve  at present is the UP118S and the family
of pianos included in this design.  The tuning pins flagpole
all over the place.  The slightest touch and the hyperactive
things change the pitch.  Taping the strings to the bridges
helps to a slight degree but it is not a cure.  I believe
the problem exists in pressure bar design or in the pins
themselves.  This is not unlike many Steinway uprights.  I
could be politically correct about it, (watch it boys,
Steinway is listening), but I think we all have experienced
these damn things.

So... I would be interested in hearing any techniques that
some folks out there might have come up with to deal with
these.  Please, help me regain my sanity!!

Rob Goodale, RPT
University Nevada, Las Vegas