Convention musings

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 07:16:04 -0500

Roger,
I think even Einstein got beat up a bit when he first came out with that
E=Mc2 thingee.  WHERE DO I GET THE IRONING TIP FROM?  I don't see where you
specify the source in the article. I got one from Schaff but it is larger
(head and chuck) and for an 80 watt iron.  Would filing the chuck end down
to fit my 40 watt work or should I get one from somewhere else?  This thing
looks a lot bulkier.  Thanks for all the info, help, and encouragement.
Sorry I missed the court proceedings/chin wag in K.C.  My cajun accent would
have just furthered the confusion and added to the division/common language
problem.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter
lafargue@iamerica.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Roger Jolly
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 1999 10:26 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: RE: RE: Convention musings

Hi Lance,
               Don't feel alone, several persons have taken my comments out
of context.
1. I can't change a sound board, bridge or the scaling, I have to work with
what is in front of me, within the limits of budget. Many pianos that we
work on are not worth rebuilding let alone redesigning.
2. A fast voicing job can save time on the tuning, and greatly improve the
musicality of the instrument. It also educates the customer that other work
is needed besides tuning.
Have fun
Roger

At 05:01 PM 29/07/99 -0500, you wrote:
>It was meant tongue in cheek.  I don't expect techs to voice every piano
>before they voice and I understand that a piano should be tuned before
>voiced. My point was only that I learned the effects of voicing on high
>partials and that it effects the inharmonicity of a piano.  If I have a
high
>level tuning to do or not, I now know and better understand that just
>turning tuning pins is not my only weapon in the war on U.N.(undesireable
>noise).I think I got Roger's message. I must be more careful how I say
>things...

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina