sting cleaning

Bill Kidd bkidd@tilc.com
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 00:32:46 -0700

John M. Formsma wrote:

> Anyone have good tips for cleaning treble strings?  I have seen many trebles
> with small rust spots.  My first thought is to use super fine (#0000) steel
> wool, then clean with a cotton ball dampened with alcohol.
>
> What about bore solvent used to clean guns?  Would that be OK as long as it
> was not dripped onto the soundboard?  Bore solvent is a good cleaner for
> guns, so I wonder if that would be a good solvent for the kind of dirt/rust
> that tends to attach itself to strings.
>
> I searched the archives, but found only one reference to string cleaning
> with paint thinner to remove some substance, and another recommendation to
> use 3M paint stripping pads instead of steel wool to clean bass strings.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> John Formsma

> Anyone have good tips for cleaning treble strings?  I have seen many
> trebles with small rust spots.  My first thought is to use super fine
> (#0000) steel wool, then clean with a cotton ball dampened with
> alcohol.
>
> What about bore solvent used to clean guns?  Would that be OK as long
> as it was not dripped onto the soundboard?  Bore solvent is a good
> cleaner for guns, so I wonder if that would be a good solvent for the
> kind of dirt/rust that tends to attach itself to strings.
>
> I searched the archives, but found only one reference to string
> cleaning with paint thinner to remove some substance, and another
> recommendation to use 3M paint stripping pads instead of steel wool to
> clean bass strings.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> John Formsma

I use the Polita steel polish (Schaff #169) in the handle (Schaff # 169H)
It is bar of emery impregnated rubber eraser. The idea was conceived many
years ago and still works great.

My question how do you polish the back side of the wire without removing
from the instrument? Is it for cosmetic reasons or does removing the rust
improve the sound of the wire?
Bill Kidd