string cleaning

BSimon1234@AOL.COM BSimon1234@AOL.COM
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 09:26:35 EDT

John Formsma wrote;

<<cleaning treble strings ... My first thought is to use super fine (#0000)
steel
wool...and...found a recommendation to use 3M paint stripping pads instead of
steel wool to clean bass strings.   Any thoughts?>>

Yes.

If the 3M pads you describe are the ones with which I am familiar, they are
an open plastic "wool" felt with an embedded grit.  Very high quality and
excellent for some things, but not everything.  They are plastic sandpaper,
essentially, and leave a sandpaper kind of effect.

Some people apparently like the look of bass strings that have been sanded
with fine emery paper. I don't.  They are more "copper colored," but look
sandblasted and non-reflective. It is simply cheap and easy to do, but not up
to "best practice" standard.  I have seen some pianos where some technician
even sanded the treble strings, causing real and serious damage.  The strings
do show up better!

I suggest that you try #0000 steel wool ( more on stainless steel wool versus
bronze wool later) for the treble strings.  It has a shearing, planing action
on dirt which is provided by thousands of sharp little knife-like fibers, not
an abrasive grit type action.

If you live in an area of high humidity, the tiny fibers lost during cleaning
can be a major problem if they later rust. This looks like little tiny brown
worms or threads, stuck here and there, sometimes permanently staining wood
and varnish.

Boatyards use a lot of bronze wool, never steel wool, when they are
refinishing teak, brass, etc.,  for they know that in a marine environment
the lost steel fibers will later turn rust and turn brown, even when buried
in several coats of varnish.

Years ago I had one stainless steel wool pad.  Alas, it didn't last forever,
and I have never again seen it or heard of where one could get it.  Sitting
in water it did not rust, and it apparently beat bronze wool for hardness
(sharpness) and longevity, and any lost fibers would not turn green, like
bronze wool can in a marine environment.

Anyway, try bronze wool, real fine and rubbing it longitudinally, on the bass
strings.

HOWEVER - My favorite way to clean bass strings is to put a very fine brass
or steel wire ( about  .008"  ??? wires) wheel, perhaps 1" to 1.5" in
diameter, in a drill and spin it perpendicular to the length of the strings.
Run the drill itself longitudinally along the strings, with the wheel nestled
in the groove between two bass strings.  The wires get down into the
"grooves,"  getting out all the dirt and really polishing the copper. Makes
the strings look almost brand new.

Best of luck, - and if you find a source of stainless steel wool pads, please
let me know.

Sincerely,
Bill Simon
Phoenix