An untrue from Steinway was Re: Do Steinways appreciate?

Steinway & Sons tech@steinway.com
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:18:11 -0400

List,

I wanted to stay out of this one, but to imply that we are guilty of lies,
hyperbole, or even an "untrue",  is going a little too far.

Please refer to the following URL:
http://www.steinway.com/html/showroom/invest.html for an accurate summary of
Steinway's appreciation claims.  All of the statements on that page have
appropriate citations.  We can not possibly control everything said on a
sales floor, but we push appreciation value as a selling point because it is
true and it can be documented.

Naturally the condition of the instrument will have a large impact on its
re-sale value and no one around here ever claimed Steinways are a better
investment than the stock market.  The point is simply this: you will do
better with a Steinway than with other big-ticket consumer items.

By the way, a rebuilt model L in ebony finish sells for $34,600 at Steinway
Hall.  Someone could make a killing shipping $20,000 L's into New York. :-)

Yours,
STEINWAY & SONS

Stephen K. Dove
Supervisor, Retail Services