Chase/ghosts-w/correction

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Wed, 02 Jun 1999 02:02:56 -0700

Must start proofreading more...........So.

How many people use ghosting as a regular tuning technique?
I went through a phase lately of chasing ghosts.

I concluded, not on account of any knowledge beyond experience,
that ghosting the bass sends things a little flat. I presume on
account of the whole string not being in "normal" motion,
stretching it slightly sharper??

So I stopped "pure ghosting" and started amplifying harmonics
within normal sounding octaves by striking the appropriate notes
to "excite" ghosts sympathetically above normal levels..
How many use the coincidental partial notes just to amplify
the "ghost" being examined as a regular technique.

I even tried what I call "reverse ghosting" ,
i.e.: depress c4-c5 without sounding the notes
    use sostenuo to hold c4-c5 open
    staccato hit c6 loud enough to make harmonics speak on c4-c5
    repeat c6 normally and tune to harmonics sounding on lower strings

Go ahead & tell me I'm nuts.

Don't do this much in regular tuning,
but find it interesting from time to time to see what it gives me
as a reference compared to what I'm actually doing at the time.

Do find ghosting useful for the lowest few notes.It may send
me a little flat, but I know where I'm am, it's close, and can
fish for a compromise from there.

For theses lowest few notes I've recently got into the habit of almost
always voicing them a bit making the fundamental more dominant
so I can stand not having to stretch beyond tolerable limits to
accommodate sharp harmonics.

                                        Haunted by conflicting ghosts
                                        Dave Renaud
                                         RPT