Tilting on the lyre

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 21:26:25 -0700

Dennis,

I have not dead lifted a piano/skid in 20 years.  I always tip the
piano over onto the skid which is on the dolly with a block of
some sort as Frank mentions.  This indeed is as stable a
platform as the skid on the floor.  You only need to be sure
that the dolly favors the tail of the skid (not the keyboard butt
end) otherwise the skid can tip keyboard side up and slide the
tail/nose of piano forcing you to push and slide the piano back
up the skid.  What is there to be worried about?  When we tip
we don't heave and let go do we?  As you tip the piano over it
comes to rest on the edge of the piano on the skid.  It won't
go anywhere unless you continue to push it over on its side.
Someone on the other side can help keep it from tipping but it
isn't going to tip once it is on the long flat side.  It naturally
stops just as it would if the board was on the floor.  You have
to wrestle it to perfectly align it on the skid either way.  You
have two legs with which to control the piano also.  Once you
try this you will never go back to dead lifting the skid/piano to
install the dolly.  Oh and don't forget you set it back up the
exact same way.  Don't take it off the dolly!  Align if on the
skid as you normally would and tip it back on its two legs.  At
this point unless you are using the lyre you will have to do
some lifting to get the bass leg on.  What I wanted to find out
about is this piano horse and if it would work with the skid on
the dolly and I still don't know if it will...

David Ilvedson, RPT