Steinway Touchweight Problem

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 07:49:26 -0400

Hi Stan,

You bring up some interesting questions.

Since this is a teflon S&S, I'm wondering if the Protek will be of much
value, on the centers that is.(?)  I've not tried it, so I can't say with
personal experience.  But from what others have told me, it may not be as
effective as it is with a regular cloth bushings.  But there are a number of
other places to look for friction too.

The hammers may be too heavy.  It seems that they have gotten bigger and
bigger as the years went by.  Ed McMorrow has some interesting things to say
in "The Educated Piano" regarding sizing down those monsters.  It's a good
read, if you can get your hands on it.  (A different perspective).

As for the backchecks, I wouldn't worry about their being a bit larger
(heavier).  One thing about Steinway backchecks, (some of 'em anyway), is
that they are longer, and make it easier to get the hammers to check closer
to the strings.  Also, the weight of the backchecks won't have as great an
impact on touchweight as will hammer weight. (Not much leverage to speak of.
More of a balance situation with the front of the key, as opposed to a 5:1
or so relationship with the hammer and the front of the key...)

I think I'd hold off on cutting down the size of the tails too, at least to
see if it checks where you want it to.  If the checking is where you want
it, and you cut the tails way down, it could end up being a headache.
(It'll be a lot easier taking some off, than wishing you could put some back
on.)

There are a number of people who could probably get into more specifics...
Jon Page comes to mind.  But I had to chime in.

Good luck.  May all your customers be happy ones.  :-)

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.