Steinway Touchweight Problem

David C. Stanwood Stanwood@tiac.net
Thu, 03 Jun 1999 22:35:58 -0400

Dear Stan,

The only way to tell the weight of a hammer is to weigh it.  The only way
I've found to weigh it on the shank is using a measurement I call Strike
Weight.  This is essentially tipping the hammer on a scale.

I've left you all a drawing of the setup for measuring Strike Weight at:

http://www.tiac.net/users/stanwood/swsetup.gif

Years of study have produced "Normal Zones".  I've left a graph of the
normal zones for all of you at:

http://www.tiac.net/users/stanwood/swranges.jpg

I would recommend what many technicians are doing which is to pick a strike
weight level that fits the existing action leverage (which varies alot from
piano to piano) and making the hammers conform to that specification.   If
your reducing weight this means taking whatever weight from the side of the
hammer that is needed to make the specification weight.  Some will need
less weight reduction than others because hammer weights tend to be jagged.
 Ideally you want to end up with a smooth curve.

There are many ways to lighten an action.

1. reduce friction
2. reduce hammer weight
3. reduce front weight (key lead weight) and and make up the difference
with wippen support springs.
4. increase leverage by:
	a. move capstan/heel line in towards balance rail.
	b. move knuckles further out on shank (watch geometry)
	c. move balance rail farther back (when having new keys made)

I would recommend the 17mm knuckle core to hammer center for teflon era
actions.
The originals were from 15.5mm to 16.0mm and they tend to be heavy.  It's
not the teflon,
it's the key ratios from that era.

David C. Stanwood

www.stanwoodtouch.com