An untrue from Steinway was Re: Do Steinways appreciate?

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 08:17:34 -0600

Hi Folks,

How about some real life numbers. I happen to know a Yamaha c3 with ivory
keys sold for $3,000.00 Canadian in 1972. List price today is around
$37,000.00 Canadian. I would think that anyone who has a c3 in good
conditiion should be able to get 1/2 that price.

At 12:20 AM 6/4/99 EDT, you wrote:

>In a message dated 6/02/1999 7:36:27 PM, Wim wrote:
>
><< "But for the company to
>promote that a customer should buy a Steinway over another instrument as an
>investment that will appreciate in value more than any other instrument,
is a
>gross misrepresentation of the truth. ">>
>
>Wim;
> I don't think that any other instrument appreciates in value or commands a
>higher percentage used price than does S&S grands. There also is not any
>other grand in as much demand as S&S grands. I can buy 65/70 year old
>Chickering/Knabe/M&H, etc. for anywhere from 400 to 3500 dollars I can't
>think of a single S&S grand that I can touch, of any age, for anywhere near
>that amount.
>
> I don't know what Steinway says on their page or in their advertising..but
>if they say anything like 'S&S grands hold their 'value' better than
anything
>else on the market and 'appreciate' in value better than anything else on
the
>market and are more 'expensive' to acquire than anything else on the used
>market'...than I will agree with Steinway.
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://www.dlcwest.com/~drose/