New Virus??

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 11:11:46 -0500

John,

>It's always best not to open an attachment from someone you don't know.
>Better to ask and not mess up your hard drive. :-)

   Especially an executable file. But remember, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get
a virus or have anything else happen to your computer simply by opening
an e-mail message!

 >You will see all sorts of warnings and hoaxes about virus invaders. :-)
>There is a web site for checking these things out but I don't have it. I'm
>sure that Avery will post you the address. He always stays on top of these
>kind of things.
>
>Gina

   Well, since you insist. :-) I'm still in the process of changing
computers, so I don't have everything real handy, yet. There are several
out there but here's a good one to start with. There are a lot of links
from there for you to read more than you ever wanted to know about these
types of hoaxes and urban legends.

http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/

Avery

>Sent: Thursday, June 03, 1999 6:56 PM
>Subject: New Virus??
>

>> I just received an email from a friend of mine warning of a new virus.
>> Being rather new to computer stuff I though I would throw this out there
>> with those of you that may be "probably are" more acquainted with this
>> stuff than I am.  The warning said if you receive an email titled "Join
>> The Crew" or "Penpals" not to open it as it could erase your HD.  Info
>> about this was released by IBM according to the forwarded email that I
>> received.
>> Feedback is more than welcomed.
>>
>> John R. Fortiner
>> Billings, MT.