Moving an Upright

Pengelly Pensione pengelly@uniserve.com
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 09:37:13 -0700

Hi Folks
I want my husband, John,  to move one of our pianos into the livingroom for
the kids to use but the logistics are difficult.  We live on a mountain and
our lot is quite steep.  Because of this our front door enters at the
basement level of our two floor home.  Once inside there is a fairly narrow
stairwell with a 90 degree turn in the middle of it to take you to the main
floor.  No way will the piano negotiate that turn.  On the main floor though
there is a large deck with french doors into the livingroom which would seem
to be the best way to get the piano into the room.  The question of course
is how do we get the thing up onto the deck.  We have a friend with a truck
that has a hook and lifting arm who is willing to try but we need to know
the best way to rig the piano up so that it is not damaged in the process.
I often read over John's shoulder and know that you guys will know the
answer to this!
In anticipation,
Helen Pengelly