Speaking of hammer filing...

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 05 Jun 1999 17:41:21

Hi Brian,
          The strike point is critical, hence we move the action in and out
on a grand to find the sweet spot, particularly in the treble.

 As for shape, one must follow the layers when carding a set of hammers to
ensure a nice round shape to the strike point. If the hammers are clean, (
no dope) this method will give optimum elasticity to the shoulder and
generally superior singing quality. The more you file to a point the less
fiber below the strike point to support and maintain shape. The Job will
not last as long. I have see too many of these pointy reshape jobs, were
the tone has been OK for a few months and then the tone goes to mush in
short order. Heavily doped hammers is another story all together.
Regards Roger

>I was lead to believe that the size of the striking point of a hammer was
actually intended to be a function of the length of the string.  In other
words, the "length" of the striking point would be in some sort of a
'ratio' with the length of the speaking length of the string.

>As it relates to hammer filing, I believe it went something like this:
When filing hammers you will likely never get the high treble hammers
'pointy' enough for an optimal relationship, but the bass hammers should
not be pointy, as the 'point' would serve no useful purpose tone wise, and
would encourage excessive wear on the bass hammers.

>I think that was the general gist of what I read.
>
>What do you think?  Is there something to this concept?
>
>Interesting discussions.
>
>Thanks to all for your perspectives.
>
>Brian Trout
>Quarryville, Pa.
>

>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\Speaking.htm"

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
Saskatoon/Regina.
Canada.