Why?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 06 Jun 1999 15:46:50

Hi Jim,
       Not getting splinters in your fingers would be a good start. Having
the friction of pinning within 1-2gms another.
  Joking aside, long term stability would be the #1 critera, the amount of
re-travel and burn in that I see on Hornbeam is negligable. the only other
type of shanks that approach this kind of stability is Yamaha and they are
Maple.
  So back to the $64.000 question is it the tight QC on selection of
material and manufacture the key.
  Some flex in the shank is desireable, that's one of the reasons why we
taper the treble shanks. ( store a little energy in the shank for a faster
rebound.)
I tend to think that TLC in manufacture is the primary reason to attain
superiority.
regards Roger

At 05:15 PM 6/6/99 EDT, you wrote:

>In a message dated 6/06/1999 4:59:31 PM, rrg@nevada.edu writes:
>
><< Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
>
>> And who -- besides Renner, that is -- really believes that hornbeam shanks
>are
>> superior to even relatively decent maple shanks?
>
>ME.
>
>Rob Goodale, RPT
> >>

>Rob, Del, Roger;
> Perhaps we should define "superior" ?
> What qualities make one shank "superior" to another?
>Jim Brynat (FL)

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
Saskatoon/Regina.