Hornbeam

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 11:04:09 -0400

> Some years back I compared maple hammershanks to hornbeam shanks directly,

Was the hornbeam shank turned down to the same diameter as the maple?
A hexagonal shank will be inherently stiffer.  Even _I_ can _feel_ the
difference in the more ridgid hornbeam.

Shanks are thinned in the treble to reduce weight.  It should not
effect flexibility in the vertical plane much at all.

Would the payoff justify the expense of getting different wood?  One
uses the resources one has so european manufacturers use local woods,
just like we do.

Renner does not have fabricating facilities on this continent.

			Newton