Pounders... why?

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 12:13:08 -0700 (MST)

Hi Brian:

I'll hold my breath if you don't tell us quick how you did it.

I must say that I remember the Paul Smith Concert at the banquet. That was
the finest tuning I ever heard and I never heard a wiggle in any unison
throughout the entire concert. I'm sure you must have sweat bullets during
the prep, knowing how heavily he can play. I believe Paul is considered the
finest Jazz pianist on the Left Coast (oops, I meant West Coast). It was
so thrilling to hear him ease into a classic number right in the middle of
a terrific jazz improvisation and then to wander in and out of several key
tonalities in one selection. But, being a piano tuner, I was still mostly
impressed with the way the tuning held amidst all the pyrotechniques of the
fantastic playing.

If I remember correctly, that concert was played on one of the Kawai EX
models. My, what a big sound.

Then I do remember you tuning the Mason & Hamlin for him in Sacramento a
year or two later where the performance and the preparation were just as
impressive. I distinctly remember being asked to do that tuning and then
twisting your arm to get you to do it instead because I had more confidence
in you than in me. I sure hope that didn't get you into trouble with
Yamaha because you were working for them at the time. Anyway, that makes
two of your great tunings which I have heard and enjoyed.

Jim Coleman, Sr.