Key Stiffness (was Re: Hornbeam)

Mon, 07 Jun 1999 22:24:13 -0700

Avery Todd wrote:

> Hi Del,
>
>    Dare I ask you to explain this one further? :-) Or is that included
> in the Action Power article?

Yes it is.

>    Are you saying that spruce is NOT better because it's stiffer? Just
> curious.

Where did this idea come from?  I like spruce keys.  I also like sugar pine
keys.  I remain unconvinced about bass wood although some like it because it
machines so nicely.  (Sound familiar?)

The question originally came up when I asked Kluge for quotes on some keysets
I had designed for a 190 cm grand in which I had drawn in a maple bottom
plate.  Kluge would/could not make them and stated that there was no demand
for keys to be made that way and that none of the (mostly German)
manufacturers they made keys for wanted bottom plates.  They should.  I
thought -- still do -- that a 22 to 23 mm key body made of whatever material
was not stiff enough without some sort of bottom plate.  We ended up having to
take the keys without the bottom plate and, guess what?  They lacked the
requisite stiffness.  Overly flexible keys are one of the major limiting
factors in transferring energy from the pianists fingers to the string.

Del