Pounders... why?

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Tue, 08 Jun 1999 11:50:00 -0400

List,
     I use a fast double strike, about 1/8 second apart.  I stand using one
motion of the arm and the three middle fingers creating a  bounced second blow
which is faster than the first.  The word pounding implies abuse, so I prefer the
word fast or high speed and I avoid bottoming out the key with my fingers to save
my joints.    I've experimented by making little socks to wear on finger tips and
reduce cracking or callouses of my skin.  University work has made it easy to try
various techniques and see how gracefully each tuning ages and find what provides
the most gain for the least stress.  IMHO the fast test blows insure more stable
unisons, and I could not feel secure without them except in very light use
situations.   Furthermore, if anything is  amiss, i.e. cheating jack, dragging
hammer tail, half broken part etc.-- I find it before anyone else.  However, Too
much of a good thing can be bad. No one should ever use fast blows where there
are brass flanges, actions with questionable parts, highly flared keys etc.
-Mike Jorgensen