Pounders... why?

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 00:03:59 EDT

 On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 BDeTar@AOL.COM wrote:

 > List,
 >
 > With all this talk about "pounders," I'm wondering where the rationale of
 > "pounding" comes from.  After almost 25 years of using a quick "double
 > strike," that is, the first time the note is struck sharply, then 1/2 a
 > second or so after, the note is played softer and held so as to hear the
note
 > to tune.  I have never pounded the notes to achieve stability.  In fact,
if
 > the notes are pounded too hard, you actually CREATE instability in the
string.

 > Rather, let's have a discussion of hammer technique combined with
"judicious"
 > test blows and retained, controlled, tuning pin torque, which have
dramatic
 > effects on tuning stability or lack thereof.
 >
 > For example, let's suppose you are going to tune for, let's say, Paul
Smith
 > at, say, the National PTG Convention which was held in Portland, Oregon.
And
 > let's say that the piano was moved on its own casters from one building to
 > the next, in the sun about 2 hours before the PTG banquet starts.  Now, I
 > guarantee you Mr. Smith is, shall we say "exuberant" when he plays.
Here's
 > the question:
 > Which has more effect on maintaining tuning stability: Hammer technique;
 > residual, controlled pin torque, or string rendering?  Further, what
effect
 > do you think "pounding" would have on this tuning?
 >
 > I'll spare you the details of what I did to encourage discussion!
 >
 > Brian De Tar, RPT
 > Positively DeFined
 > BDeTar@aol.com
 > 				NO OBSTACLES... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES!
 > -
 > -

 Rather that tune sharp and beat the note into submission, when the pitch is
where you want it, use a test blow to see if it moves is much better.  A firm
but not hard enouph blow to break the hammer is all you need.  If a test blow
will not move it, neither will the pianist.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR