Why?

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 09 Jun 1999 09:04:48 +0200

Roger Jolly wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>             Going for 4 but not more than 5 swings has given me optimum
> tone production, and that was my reason for mentioning it.  I live in a
> very dry climate region and it gives sfe results, however if you live in a
> damp region the tolerence may be a little on the tight side.
> Regards Roger
>
>  its
> >much much "safer" to go with 4 swings tightness then without teflon, and
> definately
> >safer as compared to using graphite.

 Jo ! Definantly understand you . The tighter the centers on the hammer flange
the more solid a swing you are going to get, and the more solid a hit on the
strings you are going to get, to be sure. But lets face it. Getting 4 swings
to stay 4 swings is going to be pressing ones luck, or abilitities. Personally
I like pressing those so I got nothing but encouragement for you here. If you
work a bit of teflon powder in the bushings when you repin, you are just that
much safer. Teflon is nodular shaped. I saw a picture of this stuff under a
microscope once. Kinda like putting a whole bunch of really slippery ball
bearings between the felt and the pin. Works great.

Still its important for those readers who are not aware of all sides of this
to be carefull here. As you say, given the right climatic conditions, 4 swings
can lead to things being to slow and then you have to redo the job. And if a
new tech hasnt gotten real good at checking for things like graphite in the
bushings the same thing might happen. Take a graphited bushing at 4 swings and
"shake" it back and forth about 20 times. Then do your swing check again.
Often as not what was 4 swings will now be 1, or maybe not even that.

But hey,, if your good at pinning.. go for it.

Richard Brekne