Pounders... why?

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 09 Jun 1999 09:22:16 +0200

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM wrote:

>  Rather that tune sharp and beat the note into submission, when the pitch is
> where you want it, use a test blow to see if it moves is much better.  A firm
> but not hard enouph blow to break the hammer is all you need.  If a test blow
> will not move it, neither will the pianist.
>
> Dave Peake, RPT
> Portland Chapter
> Oregon City, OR

I whole heartedly aggree. Fellows talk of pounding,  bloody and cracked fingers
etc. I am sorry but I just cant help getting the feeling that much of the
pounding going on out there is indeed POUNDING.  It is simply not necessary. And
it is very easily over done. If you are worried of the string hanging up on the
bearing, a drop of Proteck will almost always do the job. The Test Blow is just
that, a Test to see if the string moves. It is not called the Tuning Blow because
that is not its purpose.

The only reason I can see for useing a pounder is if you have arthritis or
something of that sort

Richard Brekne