Scaling Software

paulmcrpt@juno.com paulmcrpt@juno.com
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 20:32:06 -0400

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999 08:37:36 +1200 "Stephen Powell" <pianotec@ihug.co.nz>
writes:
>I am looking at purchasing a piano scaling program.  The most obvious
>seem to be PSCALE and Winscale.  Any advice on which way to go here?
>Is one more user-friendly than the other?

Hi Stephen,

Since the only program I have ever used is PSCALE, I will give you my
totally biased endorsement of it.  I have done between 20 and 30 scales
this way and have found the following.  They get better with practice.
Even the first attempts are very good.  The program is excellent and
carefully designed.  There is a learning curve, but it is well worth your
time and effort.  Tremaine Parsons has spent much time with me on the
phone giving tech. support and I cannot praise him enough.

The recent additions to PSCALE allow for the direct e-mail of string data
to manufacturers like James Arledge as well as traditional printouts to
any other string winder.  Data entry has been made so easy that it almost
does itself (well, not quite that easy).  Once I put the measurements
directly into my laptop while I unstrung the piano, but blank data charts
can be printed out to use as work sheets.  Adjusting plain wire sections
is also easily accomplished.  The program is capable of calculations for
copper, iron and aluminum wraps.  It will calculate your total tension at
any time.  When I heard last at Providence last summer,  Tremaine was
working on an upgrade that would look for and help eliminate transverse
waves.  This will be an upgrade sometime in the future.

Sorry that I can't give an unbiased comparison, but I am very well
satisfied with PSCALE.

Paul McMillin, RPT
Carlisle, PA