?extra concert maintance&string?

David Renaud studiorenaud@qc.aibn.com
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:11:07 -0700

I meant to publish this to pianotech not PTG-1
Apoligies to thoses that get it twice now.

I have one concert hall been tuning for 8 years.
They purchased a 7 foot Kawi, new 8 years ago.
The building gets quite humid in the summer, and although
a Damp-Chaser assists stability, the string has begun
showing signs of corrosion. The piano's probably seen
400+ tunings. Last concert I broke a first string
at the beket.
This is the only concert hall I do....
Questions?

1) Do concert instruments due to extreme frequency
of tuning show weakness at friction points and/or
 weak points more rapidly.
2) Should a "concert" instrument used in a hall/ recording,
be in need of new strings every decade or so.
I'm thinking that as the stings tarnish and become more
brittle the purity of the tone generated is compromised.
3) I'm wondering, as the string shows sign of age, if I
should be preparing the administration  to  budget
for this in a couple years.
4)  So far annual maintenance consists of an 8 hr day
at the beginning of each season to regulate, voice, shape,
lubricate, seat string.
                                     Thanks

                                      Dave Renaud
                                      RPT