CD ROM Project

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:09:46 -0500 (CDT)

At 01:36 PM 6/9/99 EDT, you wrote:
>Thanks to all who have responded so far!
>
>To clarify to a couple of things.
>
>1)  Estimated cost for 20 years of PT Journal on CD, for PTG members about
>$100
>non-members slightly more, but I would imagine still a bargain!
>2)  We anticipate the 20 years will fit onto one CD!
>3)  Yearly updates would be available for maybe $10-$20 depending on the
>amout produced each year and would be resident on your hard drive, so that
>future seaches would not require swapping CDs.
>4)  Being in HTML this would run on any system.
>
>I would hope that we could make the updates available for download somewhere.
>
>Bill Springer, RPT
>ECC Chair

How about pictures? The Journal "reprints" of the articles on bridges,
soundboards, etc, are photocopies of Journal pages. A Xerox of a gray scale
or color photo is just a meaningless blotch on the page and a fair portion
of the text of these articles refers to the accompanying photos. I wouldn't
want to see the same thing happen on this project. If the Journal is put on
CD, The text needs to be accompanied by (at least) 16 shade gray scale,
contrast and brightness corrected scans, not half tones, at a resolution
that makes them visible on the screen and makes the subject discernable.
This must be a part of the requirements for bidding, and needs to be
verified before final acceptance. With the high quality OCR software
available today, text is the relitively easy part, whereas the photos have
the higher time and skill requirements and are the more likely to be poorly
reproduced.

If the CD includes all the information, text and graphic, at a decent level
of quality, that appeared in all the articles, I'd buy it.

 Ron