?extra concert maintance&string?

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:48:01 +0200

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

>   On the "how often to restring" thingee. I just completed, Weds., with
> another tech, restringing a Hambrug 'D', 12 years old.  The main problem was
> string breakage becoming much more frequent and not tonal quality. We
> discussed options with the Symphony and they decided to go ahead and restring
> the entire thing.
>   Now there was 'nothing' wrong with this pianos tonal quality...there are
> two 'D's in the venue and this one is chosen most often by visiting artists.
> The tone, of the old strings, was clear and clean as well as having a deep,
> rich, bass all in all a very good example of what S&S 'D's can be.
>
> Jim Bryant (FL)

I am curious Jim, did you do any maintainance to the de-Capo bar and / or
agraffes as part of the restringing ?

Also I had a guy once tell me that it was a good idea to re-pin the bridge from
time to time. His point was that bridge pins also develop flat spots and knicks
that influence tone and clarity. Anyone out there heard about this ?

Richard Brekne