CD Journal

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:15:54 EDT

<<"Jim:
I certainly have no scientific data to back this up, but my perception is
that the "reprint kit" that is now available, is quite limited in content.">>

 David;
 Yes it is 'limited' in scope to the Journal reprints used in the tech
booklets and that is the way it was designed.  My point was that the
announcement of consideration of this CD-ROM (reprints) was greeted by an
equal level of enthusiasm and general thoughts of 'boy, I sure would buy one
of those thingees!!' ((pardon the editorial paraphrase :))
1. resulting in approval of production
2. production cost of aprox. 15,000 (thanks for the correction, Bill S.)
3. sales of 50 or 60, aprox.

  Now as Bill S. points out, it was delayed by a couple of years while legal
details were worked out, but the sales still don't reflect the level of
interest initially displayed.  Perhaps it 'is' partially due to the "I'll
just wait until the 20 year thingee comes out" syndrome, as you suggest.

  So we are looking at, using Bill's numbers, a 50,000 dollar break even
point, meaning sales of 500 units. 'If' sales were pre subscribed until some
level certain were reached, say 300 units, this thingee would look 'much'
better to me. Although the points that J.C. Sr. raised are 'very' valid
points even with a pre subscription.

  Now just as a hypothetical question..............'if' the making of CD-ROMs
were your business and your success depended on sales covering costs and
based on the results of sales of a similar (but different) CD-ROM would you
invest 'your' money/time/energy in this thingee if the target market for both
CDs were the same?

 Now I confess to being one of those who said that I would buy a "20 year" CD
and I probably would.....but that doesn't needfully mean that producing it is
the right thing to do......it will be interesting to read the Committee
report on this thingee.
Jim Bryant (FL)