CD ROM Project Rant, my last post on the subject

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 17:26:25 +0200

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 6/11/1999 11:10:07 PM, Don wrote:
>
> <<"I don't feel that we should restrict access to information.">>
>
> Don;
>  Thanks for explaining your meaning in your prior post.............
>
> How are we "restricting access to information" if we 'should' choose not to
> publish this 20 year CD-ROM?   Isn't all the information still there in the
> journal (s)? Aren't back issues of the Journal available for sale? (provided
> there are any left of course)  Aren't all the same subjects covered time and
> again in Regionals and National conventions? Aren't all welcome to come to
> these affairs?
>
> Why would we needfully become the "bad guys" 'if' we decide we don't want to
> pay for putting this project forward?  Would the non production of this CD
> inhibit one person from becoming a piano tech?

To the last question, no it wont, to the rest.. it all depends on why it is
decided not to publish this CD. If it is purely a matter of economics..well ok,
maybe its too expensive.
If it is rooted in some idea of protectionism, well it is my judgement that this
would be a mistake.

>   'If' Wims figure of 55 dollars of our dues is set aside for the journal,
> and adjusted for inflation over the last 20 years the member who has been
> paying for the Journal already has aprox.  715 dollars invested in those
> Journals. In addition a member today is faced with a use of aprox 15 dollars
> of their dues to fund this CD production.  Thus a 20 year member, and there
> are a bunch of them, is going to have an investment of 730 dollars in this CD
> and still will not have the CD :-(
>
>   If the member wants a CD they will have to cough up an additional 100 bucks
> or so, bringing their total investment to 830 dollars aprox.  To then turn
> around and sell this thingee to anyone who wants one at 100, or 150 dollars,
> seems wrong somehow.....................

I'm sorry, I just dont see how there is anything wrong in this. In fact it is
possible (tho perhaps not probable given the present marketing proceedures of the
PTG)  to actually make a good deal of money on the matter. I can think of lots of
side interests for the journals on CD. People who have absolutely no interest in
becomeing a piano tuner but find a certain amount of insight into what a piano
tech does would be helpfull. In fact I would like to see all kinds of musicians
buy and read through as much as possible.

This kind of argument seems rooted in somekind of "Hey,, I paid all these years,
so why shouldnt they?" I mean really, what IS the point of this. What do those
adhering to this hope to accomplish ?. Who does anybody really think is going to
get any thing for free anyways ? I say again, those few (and I mean very few) who
would eventually buy this CD for serious use in learning piano tuning should be
identified and invited into the "good company of the PTG". As for the rest of
those who buy, hey,, let them fill the bank account of the PTG as much as they
will. The more outsiders pay for the operation costs of the PTG the better I
would think

>   That is just the dollars and cents side of it............of course it would
> be more convenient to use a search engine to find what we want in an old
> issue! Of course it would be nice to have all the articles written by all the
> fine techs over the years at your fingertips! .............but no one has
> answered the question that I asked re: CD-ROM so I.. will.. ask.. it..
> again.., i.e.
> <<" Now just as a hypothetical question..............'if' the making of
> CD-ROMs were your business and your success depended on sales covering costs
> and based on the results of sales of a similar (but different) CD-ROM would
> you invest 'your' money/time/energy in this thingee if the target market for
> both CDs were the same?">>

As above, if its just a matter of economics.. well you get no argument for me.
Personally I think $100 is a bit cheap, at least for folks who havent purchased
the Journal  through the years.

>   My jury is still out on this question, but there are two sides, and I hate
> to see either side portrayed as the "bad guys", in the first place it is not
> needful and in the second place it is not beneficial to any.  I will not make
> up my mind about this thingee until I have read the committee report and
> possibly heard the debate on the floor of Council.............but if it
> should become a reality I will be in line to get one, ya betcha!  The concept
> of presubscription, which several people have mentioned, looks like a very
> good plan, i.e.; if over half the cost were guaranteed 'before' production
> than I don't think any could argue against it..........but still it is just a
> thought. :-)

I personally dont think anyone is a bad guy for having an opinion. The against
side here have points that they feel are valid, and I respect that. If I
disagree, that doesnt mean I think they are the bad guys. What ever the majority
decides is fine with me, even if I disagree with the decision. This CD is a good
idea if it is economically feasible. Obviously tho, some regard needs to be taken
to those who have "already bought" the past 20 years in printed format. My view.
My opinion.

> Jim Bryant (FL)

Nice post by the way Jim

Richard Brekne