Competition

Elian Degen J. degen@telcel.net.ve
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 10:48:33 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Carman Gentile <cgpiano@webtv.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, June 11, 1999 11:41 PM
Subject: Competition

>   The best way for professionals to see one another as colleagues
> instead of competitors is to work together to increase the market.

I see my colleagues both ways, It is good to have them as competitors,
because we can compete with services and heps us learn more, at the same
time we can be colleagues and friends and cooperate between us.

> For us piano technicians, we need to educate the public about the
> service needs of their pianos and what we have to offer.   There are
> -thousands- of neglected pianos which languish unserviced and their
> owners simply don't know better.   That's an opportunity for all of us.

This is the real difficult part...  Where I live and work, I accomplished
with several colleagus implementing a Piano Tuners Asoc., we made publicity,
We made a campaign trying to educate people on how to mantain the instrument
and I can tell you that yhe response is not encouraging at all.

The people I know here will spend thousands of dollars mantaining their car
and will keep playing on an unregulated out of tune piano with the excuse
that "It is not for a concert" When you talk to them everything it is more
important, the piano´s priority level is at the end.

Any idea how to convince that people ?... (without pointing them with a gun)

Elian Degen

Piano Tuner and Technician, Caracas, Venezuela
Phone/Fax:  58-2-7308547 / Cel:   58-14-9222981
e-mail:  degen@telcel.net.ve    ICQ#: 5447268 **
e-fax (603) 792-9313