Fine points of drilling bridges

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 09:28:57 -0400

Hi all,

For those of you who make bridges, I'd like to hear what kind of drill =
bits you're using to drill the bridge pin holes, and the technique you =
use.

Here's what I've been doing.  I've been laying out the pattern on the =
fresh cap, marking it fist with a pencil mark, and then with a very =
sharp awl (not deep, just a mark I can see, perhaps 1/32" deep), and =
proceeding to drill with the standard drill bit from Apsco, by hand.

I don't have much trouble keeping the angles right, but from time to =
time, I seem to have a bit of trouble with the bit 'wandering' off the =
mark.  The people around me usually say "Wow, they're great."  But =
they're not _perfect_, which is really what I'm shooting for.  I've seen =
perfect, but with that drill bit wandering, it's a pretty tough thing to =
achieve.

What can I do to keep the wandering bit to a minimum?  Do I need a =
bradpoint bit?  Do I need a pilot hole to guide the bit?  Are there =
special bits that would do a much better job than the standard Apsco =
bit?  Is there a technique that has eluded me?

It's just a little thing, and for the most part, if I just went on =
making them like I do, people would likely still think they're great.  =
But my own drive and desire to do the best work possible haunts me.  (I =
want 'em _Perfect_!)

Any advice?

Best wishes to all,

Brian Trout