Fine points of drilling bridges

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 18:50:25 -0500

> For those of you who make bridges, I'd like to hear what kind of drill
> bits you're using to drill the bridge pin holes, and the technique you
> use.
>
> Here's what I've been doing.  I've been laying out the pattern on the
> fresh cap, marking it fist with a pencil mark, and then with a very
> sharp awl (not deep, just a mark I can see, perhaps 1/32" deep),

I would make a deeper mark without using the pencil as an intermediate
step.  The awl is OK but you don't want the mark to produce a hole with
a larger diameter than the bridge pin, so I suggest a nail with a
diamter only slight less than the bit.  You could then go at least
1/16".  If the dimples don't line up exactly, you can exaggerate the
angle of the bit at the start, than correct the angle.

Carl Root, RPT
Rockville, MD