Fine points of drilling bridges

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 20:45:09 -0500 (CDT)

>Here's what I've been doing.  I've been laying out the pattern on the fresh
cap, marking it fist with a pencil mark, and then with a very sharp awl (not
deep, just a mark I can see, perhaps 1/32" deep), and proceeding to drill
with the standard drill bit from Apsco, by hand.
---------
>Brian Trout

I have tried brad point, and hand sharpening bits to steeper angles, but
have settled on my regular old set of number drills. I use an old nail set,
ground down to just under the diameter of a #6 pin, and pointed a little
steeper than the grind on a standard jobbers bit. I punch the bridge top to
the depth of the point, maybe 1/16". The bit centers in the punch mark for
me better this way than anything else I've found (making no claim to
anything like perfection). If there is a better way, I'd sure like to know
about it too.
 Ron