Fallboard Protection (was Re: The Missing Sock)

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:59:39 -0500

   When we got our new B's a couple of years ago, at the request of Abbey
Simon, I purchased some of those plastic "thingies" with the "rubber
band" that goes around the fallboard. With the exception of Abbey's,
I think the others had all been removed in less than a week because of
the noise it made as the pianist's fingers hit the plastic. I suppose
the way he plays, this doesn't happen.
   The thin plexiglass someone mentioned though, attached to the fall
board, sounds like a good idea. Except for maybe the screw holes? I
believe it was stated that someone sells these. Who?

Avery

>Very energetic players carve the fall board with their fingernails. I had a
>customer who complained to me that I put the nail marks on her piano when I
>tuned it. These gouges were so deep, it would have had to use a chisel to
>carve them. I told her she did it. She didn't believe me. I then asked her to
>play some of her favorite music. Within 5 minutes she had hit the fall board
>a dozen times. It wasn't until I pointed it out to her that she realized she
>was doing it.
>
>Willem Blees

mailto:atodd@uh.edu                 I'd rather be over the hill
                                         than under it.