Survey about PTG Journal on CD ROM

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:58:30 +0200

lance lafargue wrote:

> What if anything has been considered concerning the "control" of this
> information.  Would it be easy for non-members to get access to this info
> given the new format?  It seems that this info would be easier to transfer
> to untrained/unqualified tinkers/hobbyists/perpetual "associates", etc.
> LANCE LAFARGUE, RPT
> LAFARGUE PIANO SERVICES
> New Orleans Chapter
> Mandeville, LA.
> _________________________________
> II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II III II
> lafargue@iamerica.net
>
> "Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to
> make them all yourself."

This is a non problem. We all know of the "local fraud" seems like there is one
or two in every town. But outside of the irratation these guys give us, they
really present no serious problems. More often then not they provide
professionalls with more work cleaning up their messes.

As for the Hobbist / Tinkers / Home Economists/ etc etc ad absurdum, personally
I prefer customers that take their instruments a bit more seriously. After
establishing youself in an area, (usually takes about 4 or 5 years) you should
have a sufficiently large customer list to have a reasonably good bass income.
My experience is that about 1 in 3 tunings I get randomly, will go along with a
retune at least once a year if I call them about it when the time is come.
Those kinda folks will generally also be good prospects for other forms of
maintanance. So let those "others" do their thing, and just do yours
profesionally and all will be fine in Maryville.

Another point is that those "others" that might (god forbid) get ahold of this
CD, might turn out to be Musicians looking for greater insight. Teachers, who
may find some usefullness in education for some of the literature. All in all
this CD represents in no small degree a vehicle for "educating the public"
which we all hear lots of calls for. True, very much of the material is over
their head, yet very much is not.

And lastly, regardless of who buys the CD, its money in the bank for the PTG.
So let'em buy it !

Richard Brekne
ICPTG