sagging center string

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:30:34 -0700

Richard Brekne wrote:

> Ahh... Here we have one. 10:00 (upright I assume :) ) Lots of guys swear
> by this "just shy of straight up and down" vs  "just past high noon". On
> the other hand I know very very many who swear by 1-2 oclock, combined
> with a very consistant .. screwing inwards (tho it looks to me like they
> are flagpoling in a very consisitant manner). I wonder if there is any
> real hard evidence as to which position consitantly gives the best
> results. Anyone want to bite on this ?

With all due respect to Newton, tuning hammer position is as personal as
what tip length, head angle, etc, one prefers. If I use a 10:00
position, it's more difficult _for me_ to set the pin, so I put it
closer to the 1:00 position, which also makes it easier to pull up to
pitch (using the right hand). (Newton, are you left-handed?) I'm
accustomed to
feeling the pin in the block this way whereas if I put the lever way
over to the left, I lose that feel and might as well be tuning with the
other hand (almost).

I think that if you did a study, you'd find that it's more of how well
the tuner has developed a sensitivity to the lay of the tuning pin in
the
block and less of the tuning hammer's position that's important.

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, CA