"The Big Lie"

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:35:13 +0200

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> Be sure to read Skip Becker's excellent article in the June Journal.  It is
> his latest in his continuing series on Historical Temperaments (HT's).

Bill Bill Bill.... Jiminees guy.. You really are your own best enemy. Now before
you get all hot and bothered, let me just say I find many of your posts amoung
the most interesting on this list. If you would just drop the rantings and
ravings, and keep to your point.

You represent, in your support of historical temperaments, a kind of revolution
(counter revolution if you like). I might point out to you that there are
generally speaking there are two kinds of revolutionaries. The kind that go
around blowing things up, and the kind that actually accomplish something. This
second kind knows that they can play but a little part in any eventual change.
But they also know that they can play a positive and effective part within that
scope.

I know little or nothing of HT when it comes down to it, and I support the basic
view that "Piano Tuning" should include so broad a spectre that a truly
accomplished Piano Tuner should be able to "perform" in a variarity of
temperaments. This view tho is of course severely hampered by the real need for
alternate temperaments. Per today, such demand and need in my part of the world
is null. Still I intend to explore this world in the firm belief that it will
help me in all aspects of tuning. (The more you learn to hear and control with
regard to tuning, the better)

Now I understand that you have some unfortunate experience with Gina, Ed, and
others. I know none of you personally, and all I know about the argument comes
from a month and a half of following this list. But from my own experience with
conflict in personal / profesional ..er.. shall we say.. politics, I have learned
the following. You do what you believe is right, you try to get better at what
you do, you listen attentively to criticism and praise alike, and in the end if
somebody agrees with you great, if somebody doesnt .. great, but you do not fight
with folks, you remain aloof and superior to that digression. If you keep on
"keeping on" in this positive fashion, you will effect whatever change it is
possible to effect in your life. If you fall, as you do all too often, into the
temptation to lash out at those you feel have treated you unjustly, you not only
waste your own valuable time and energy, you in effect isolate and allienate
yourself and your cause. And in the end you will become "the enemys" greatest
asset.

I hope to continue to see (as I am quite capable of reading through the
bullsh...) the many interesting points you bring from time to time. But as one
human to another, ease off bud. You have far too much to offer the world to be
concerned with what irritates you.

The Big Lie... hmmmm..

Richard Brekne
ICPTG