Laws , Piano tuning, and Associations

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:10:24 +0200

List.

Thought I would share with you the following information.

In Norway, there is a proposal before the government to restrict by law the
useage of the titles "Piano Tuner" "Piano Technician", and to forbid anyone
from selling work on pianos unless they are certified. The Association is
working actively here to find an acceptable curicculum and examanitions
proceedure to be included at the University level of study for those interested
in becoming techs. The proposed testing is quite involved and includes a good
deal of rebuilding skills, tuning theory, and of course a tuning and regulating
exam. It would take 2 - 3 days to accomplish. 4 years of study would be
required.

The proposed law has actually a reasonably good chance of being passed. Seems
like the biggest hinder at this point is how exactly to set up the course for
study.

In light of recent discussions regarding the Journal CD, I thought this might
be of interest. I am skeptical to the proposed law as I question whether the
authorities are willing to enforce it or not. If so.. then I would support it.
If one is first going to restrict a trade (electricians, plumbers, pianowork,
or any other trade), it must be done by law, and with the sole purpose of
preventing those who are not competent in any given field from takeing money
from the public for such work.

Finland has such a law, and to my knowledge it is very workable. This of course
does not prevent someone from tinkering with their own piano, or a friend from
talking you into tinkering with yours. But it does severely limit amature / non
proffesional work.

If the law is passed in Norway, no one will be able to advertise, accept
payment for work,  use the titles, or in anyway perform any tasks of a piano
tech in any commercial sense unless they have authorised  certification from
the acrediting authorities in Norway.

Richard Brekne
ICPTG